Close
Share on
Sony PXW-X160
Sony PXW-X160
3 Images

Loading image...

Sony PXW-X160 Camcorder

$3,789.97
50MP 1/3 2.7kg Jul 2014
Total Megapixels Optical Sensor Size Full HD Weight Release Date
Sony has good reviews for its video cameras
Quite large display diagonal
Has an image stabilizer
Overstock $3,789.97 Go to Store
1 Price from 1 Store | $3,789.97 | Price Trend | Get Price Alerts
You are subscribed to price alerts for this product
Unsubscribe

Price

Price Has Gone Up by $188.83 (5%)

There was a cheaper price of $3,601.14 on eBay 82 days ago.Our unique forecasting algorithm looks at historic price trends and predicts the most likely price change over the next 2 weeks. There is a 36% chance that the price will go up further. However the future is never certain and there remains a 64% chance that the price will actually go back down.

Sign up to price alerts to be notified when the price goes back down.


Reviews

Sony Has Good Reviews for Its Video Cameras

Sony has good average ratings for its big total megapixels video cameras as well as across its entire video camera range.


Display

Quite Large Display Diagonal

The PXW-X160 has one of the larger display diagonals (3.5 inches) amongst big total megapixels video cameras of this age. The display diagonals of similar spec camcorders that were launched more than two years ago range from 2" to 7.6".

Alternative 3.5" screen size video cameras currently available which you might want to look at include the JVC GY-LS300 ($2,595) which is cheaper; or the Sony FDR-AX1 ($4,399.99) which has better reviews.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

Lens System

Has an Image Stabilizer

Like most of the other video cameras of this type and age, the PXW-X160 has an image stabilizer.

It may also be worth considering one of the other camcorders with an image stabilizer currently available including the Sony FDR-AX1 ($4,399.99) which has better reviews.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

Very Big Optical Zoom

Camcorders of a comparable age and type to the PXW-X160 have optical zooms of between 1x and 25x, and the average optical zoom is 13x. When compared to other camcorders that have been on the market for a similar time to the PXW-X160, the optical zoom of the Sony PXW-X160 of 25 times zoom factor is one of the biggest.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

Very High Maximum Aperture Number

The average maximum aperture number of camcorders that have been on the market for around the same time as the PXW-X160 is 4, and the maximum aperture numbers range from 1.6 to 11. With a maximum aperture number of 11, the PXW-X160 has a very high maximum aperture number compared to most of the other camcorders of a similar age and spec to the PXW-X160.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Very Low Minimum Aperture Number

With a minimum aperture number of only 1.6, the PXW-X160 has one of the lower minimum aperture numbers amongst big total megapixels video cameras of this age. Across all the video cameras of this age and spec the minimum aperture numbers range from 1.1 to 11.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Quite Long Maximum Focal Length (35mm Film Equiv)

At 650 millimeters, the Sony PXW-X160 has a quite long maximum focal length (35mm film equiv) compared to most of the other big total megapixels video cameras that have been around for more than two years. The shortest maximum focal length (35mm film equiv) of video cameras that were released more than two years ago is 2.7mm and the longest is 730mm.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Video

Full HD

Full HD

The PXW-X160 is Full HD, as are most of the other camcorders that have been around for more than two years.

We compared all the other Full HD camcorders to this video camera and we think the JVC GY-LS300 ($2,595) which is cheaper; or the Sony FDR-AX1 ($4,399.99) which has better reviews are also worth considering.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

1920 X 1080 Pixels Video Resolutions

This camcorder supports a video resolutions of 720 x 576|1280 x 720|1920 x 1080 pixels, which is typical of many big total megapixels video cameras that have been available for around the same time as it.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

1920 X 1080 Pixels Maximum Video Resolution

This camcorder has a maximum video resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, which is the most commonly found maximum video resolution on video cameras of this age and spec.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Ports & Interfaces

Supports HDMI

supports HDMI

The PXW-X160 supports HDMI, as do most of the other big total megapixels video cameras that were launched more than two years ago.

We compared this camcorder to all the other camcorders which support HDMI and we think the Sony FDR-AX1 ($4,399.99) which has better reviews; or the JVC GY-LS300 ($2,595) which is cheaper are also worth considering.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

Viewfinder

Fairly Large Viewfinder Screen Size

The viewfinder screen sizes of video cameras of this type and age range from 0.2" to 2.8", and the average viewfinder screen size is 0.7". At 0.5 inches, the PXW-X160 has a quite large viewfinder screen size compared to most of the other video cameras that were released more than two years ago.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Other Features

Not Waterproof

Most camcorders of a comparable age and type to the PXW-X160 are not waterproof. The PXW-X160 is no exception to this as it is also not waterproof.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Still Image

Only 1920 X 1080 Pixels Maximum Image Resolution

The highest maximum image resolution of the Sony PXW-X160 is 1920 x 1080 pixels. That's 80% less maximum image resolution than the most frequently found maximum image resolution of 3680 x 2760 pixels. Across all camcorders that are a similar age to the PXW-X160 the maximum image resolution ranges from 640 x 480 pixels to 6784 x 3816 pixels.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Weight & Dimensions

Very Heavy

At 2.7 kilograms, the Sony PXW-X160 is quite heavy compared to most of the other big total megapixels video cameras that are a comparable age to the PXW-X160. Across all the big total megapixels video cameras that are a similar age to the PXW-X160 the weights range from 59g to 3.8kg.

Read more Less Chart Hide Chart Edit

Other

Released Over Two Years Ago

This camcorder has been on the market for over two years.


Image Sensor

1" Optical Sensor Size

This video camera has a 1/3" optical sensor size, which is typical of many camcorders of a comparable spec and age to it.

Chart Hide Chart Edit

Product Identifiers

Barcodes 04905524990270

Other Camcorders to Consider

$875 Cheaper
3x smaller
3840 x 2160 pixels maximum video resolution
Half as good display
Sony PXW-X200

Sony
PXW-X200

$ 6,749.00
Bigger optical sensor size
A lot higher maximum aperture value
A lot smaller
$2,959 More Expensive
Sony FDR-AX33

Sony
FDR-AX33

$ 727.00
$3,063 Cheaper
Two times smaller
Two times smaller
Two times smaller viewfinder screen size
$2,295 Cheaper
3x smaller
6.6" larger screen size
Only Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery
$632 Cheaper
Lighter
55mm longer maximum focal length (35mm film equiv)
20x smaller total megapixels
$1,795 Cheaper
Smaller
Vastly lighter
Feedback